1925 - 1938
Daniels Electronics was founded by F. Gordon Daniels. Before founding the business, he started out as a telegraph operator at the Merry Island Lighthouse off the northern coast of British Columbia, Canada's westernmost province (circa 1925 - 26). He then worked as a radio operator for the fisheries protection vessel, the Malaspina (circa 1926 - 28). Then, for the years prior to World War II (1928 - 1938), he served as a radio communications officer for the British Columbia Provincial Police in the Prince Rupert region. During his time with the police he helped establish the northern regional radio network and helped construct its radio systems.
1938 - 1949
After leaving the BC Police, Gordon Daniels went into business in Prince Rupert, a small fishing town along the northern coast of British Columbia. His business involved him personally hand-building radiotelephones for lease within the B.C. fishing industry. During World War II, the business was put on hold so Gordon could serve as a technical advisor and radio instructor for the Canadian military in the region. Following the war, Mr. Daniels re-established his commercial business.
1950 - 1958
Daniels Incorporated - 1950
Gordon Daniels incorporated the company in 1950. Throughout the 1950s, he continued to produce AM radiotelephones in Prince Rupert. These hand-built radiotelephones were intended for lease throughout northern British Columbia, mainly to such BC industries as seafood cannery, crab and salmon collection/processing operations as well as logging camps, mining and oil exploration expeditions. Gordon Daniels' equipment was also employed by the department of Indian Affairs. During the mid-1950s, the founder moved his family and the company's office to Victoria.
1959 - 1965
DR-20 and DR-60 Marine Radio Telephones
The model DR-20 and DR-60 marine radiotelephones were produced in Victoria over the period 1959 - 1964. Both models were primarily marketed to the commercial fishing fleet throughout British Columbia.
Daniels Relocates to Victoria, BC - 1962
Following the passing of the founder in 1962, his two sons, Terrence and Ronald Daniels relocated the business into Victoria's James Bay area. The two brothers established a growing manufacturing and marketing operation in two old buildings near the company's present location. Today, Terry Daniels is Chairman of the Board and CEO and Ron Daniels is Executive Vice President.
1966 - 1969
After 1966, the brothers developed and produced a whole new generation of marine radiotelephone designs. The most noteworthy at that time was the model DE 440 AM series radiotelephone which enjoyed much commercial success throughout Canada and South America.
1972 - 1977
In the early 1970s, the company introduced its first series of high frequency single sideband (HF SSB) radiotelephones. The model DE 1100 was developed in 1972 followed by the more advanced 2nd generation model DE 1200 in 1977. It quickly became a market leader and commercial success.
1979 - 1980
In 1979, the company's first microprocessor based frequency synthesized technology was introduced. This new technology was first incorporated into the Model DE 1400 HF SSB Land and Marine Radiotelephone series. This new series saw the company's first application of phase-lock-loop frequency synthesized technology, microprocessor control, and long-life field programmable memory circuits.
1981 - 1984
A downturn in the fishing industry in the early 1980s presented challenges to companies selling marine radiotelephones. Fortunately, Daniels was able to diversify its business by winning a contract to manufacture a made-to-order mountain top radio repeater system for the British Columbia Department of Highways' province-wide communications network. (Repeaters are used to retransmit or repeat a received radio signal, thereby extending the range of communication). This contract to produce mountain top radio repeaters provided an opportunity to help sustain the company's growth. Therefore, following the Department of Highways project, the company embarked on a new product development program with the objective of improving the Highways repeater (MT-1 series) so that it could be a more versatile radio suitable for other professional users of mountain top systems.
1985 - 1987
MT-2 Series Launched - 1987
The late 1980s marked the development and release of the company's first highly marketable low current mountain top repeater system. The versatile MT-2 series was introduced into the marketplace in 1987 and immediately became a commercial success. The initial order was to supply a $1.4 million contract for BC Hydro's province-wide network. Subsequent orders immediately followed to many other professional end users.
In 1990, the company implemented robotic surface mount manufacturing.
In 1992, Daniels was accepted under the GSA Contract to help facilitate purchases by the United States government. Following this, several other government agencies in Canada and the United States awarded Daniels similar contracts.
Also in 1992, to keep up with the growing business, Daniels implemented a MRP system to coordinate manufacturing, purchasing, and billing.
Quality Management System - ISO 9002 Certified
In 1993, the company's Quality Management System was certified to ISO 9002 standards. Daniels was one of the first companies in the radio communications industry to receive this designation. (Since then Daniels has maintained its certification up to and including the current ISO 9001:2000)
MT-3 Series Introduced - 1993
Also in 1993, the company introduced a third generation of low current modular radios, the MT-3 series. The MT-3 series incorporated numerous advancements over the MT-2, including wider frequency coverage and a frequency synthesizer technology capable of accommodating new narrowband channels (12.5 kHz) thereby doubling spectrum efficiency and conserving precious radio spectrum.
MT-4 P25 Series Announced - 2001
In 2001, Daniels introduced the MT-4 P25 digital radio series, while still producing MT-3 analog equipment. The newly released P25 digital radios were immediately pressed into service to assist the fighting of the raging wild fires throughout the Western United States.
Also in 2001, due to the rapid growth in sales, the company's R&D and manufacturing facilities at its Victoria headquarters were modernized and expanded to nearly 30,000 ft2.
In 2003, Daniels Electronics Ltd. was proud to announce its release of a fully transparent low current P25 digital repeater. Full transparency in a digital radio repeater means that the repeater is able to retransmit a digital signal without having to bring the received signal down to analog and then redigitizing it. Combined with the low current consumption, this makes the Daniels digital repeater ideal for low current applications such as mountaintops or transportable applications.
In 2005, Daniels Electronics Ltd., enhanced its P25 product line with the addition of a digital Ethernet Universal Interface Card (UIC) providing an Ethernet connection from the Daniels MT-4 P25 radio system to other LMR subsystems in a P25 network. The UIC provides Daniels customers with access to our P25 base station's signals in order to digitally interface with other RF subsystems and console equipment. Daniels also expanded its family of rapidly deployable cases with a new briefcase repeater providing instant communications anywhere, anytime. Able to be set up in a matter of minutes it provides public safety agencies with an instant solution to any communication challenge for analog, digital or encrypted secure digital communications.
In 2008 Daniels further enhanced its public safety product line with the introduction of 800 MHz modules supporting P25 and analog signaling and with the introduction of the company ET-5 Tactical Repeater for undercover and surveillance applications.
At IWCE in March 2009 Daniels Electronics announced the launch of its new Five + One channel P25 trunked radio system. This product opens new markets for Daniels and signifies a significant advance in the company's product and technology capabilities.
May 17, 2010 - Daniels Electronics Ltd., is named Technology Company of the Year at the annual Victoria Advanced Technology (VIATeC) awards banquet. The award for Technology Company of the Year recognizes a Greater Victoria company that has demonstrated excellence in innovation and a commitment to the technology community while embracing sound business fundamentals.